FYI: Posts will be sparse around here until I replace my laptop.... Coming back to work after Christmas break apparently was too hard and it quit on me!

21 January 2016

Right Here - A Thankful Thursday


The tree is down, the hearth swept clean, the twinkle of lights removed, and suddenly it seems like the magic of Christmas is boxed up in the garage. The new semester is off with a running start leaving silent night just a distant memory. 
Yet the greatest part of Christmas lingers still. Immanuel is here. His purpose is here. Yes, even here among the many lists to memorize, textbooks to read, and essays to write; even in the hallway conversations, late night study sessions, and early alarms--God is with us
As much as I would like Christmas break to last forever, it is over far too quickly. "But long before they had finished enjoying themselves Mr. Beaver said," Time to be moving on now." 

So here I am moving on to what is real, right here and now, without losing the magic or meaning of Christmas -- because spring is on the way and He is at work! For right here in the everyday moments, He is here.

(You must forgive my many references to the works of C. S Lewis, I'm taking a literature class on his works this semester and it is already my favorite class. ever. There will be more before the semester is over....)

The Work of Christmas
by Howard Thurman
When the star in the sky is gone, 
When the Kings and Princes are home,
When the shepherds are back with their flocks,
The work of Christmas begins.
To find the lost,
To heal the broken,
To feed the hungry
To release the prisoner,
To teach the nations,
To bring Christ to all,
To make music in the heart.


1759: still dark morning commutes with my Daddy
1760: family work projects... And her 'blue cape'
1761: thunderstorms during class... "Every time I hear the thunder I wonder if I just said something heretical and Good if going to strike me..." - my biblical studies prof
1762: lunch discussions with classmates about what we're learning
1763: a new job for the semester and sitting down at that desk after classes knowing that for two hours I don't have to think about Greek vocab or exams or papers...
1764: English tea (with sugar and cream, of course!), ham sandwiches, and Turkish Delight in class as we study the classic wardrobe adventure by C.S.Lewis.... My professor is the best not because he brings us food but because he makes the story come alive!
1765: grace time... When professors cancel assignments... Truly there is enough grace for every moment even on the most hectic of days

1 comments:

Emily Boyd

I love your list this week. It's amazing how good it is when an assignment is cancelled during a busy period.

Post a Comment

Leave your thought...